For over the past 10 years, Michelle has been primarily dedicated to the support and treatment of eating disorders/disordered eating. Treatment scope includes anorexia, bulimia, binge eating, exercise bulimia, food/diet obsession and weight and weight management. Michelle has supported individuals through recovery with complex medical conditions involving pregnancy, renal disease, post-gastric bypass and GI conditions. By obtaining a thorough review of ones medical history as well as consistent contact with collaborating professionals, Michelle provide support to move a client to complete and sustainable recovery.
Nutrition therapy is an essential component of the recovery process. Eating disorders are not about the food, however, food is life and part of daily living. To bring acceptance back to eating, removing guilt, removing shame, involves reestablishing a healthy attitude towards food. Michelle listens to your nutrition concerns and works to helps to clarify conflicting nutrition information, minimize food labels, normalize eating patterns and prepare for the obstacles ahead. Emotionally driven decisions predominate, therefore, preparing, anticipating and developing skills to manage these times are crucial in the recovery process. Michelle works with the individual, families when appropriate, to personalize a nutrition plan. This process includes weekly and monthly strategies and goals in coordination with therapeutic goals.
With over a decade of specialized experience, Michelle recognizes recovery is a process and believes it is available to anyone, there is no failure in this process only giving up. Michelle maintains that honesty and integrity in what you do and say builds trust. Trust is the foundation of the provider and client relationship.
- Registered dietitian with 14 years experience including inpatient and outpatient eating disorders
- Inpatient clinical
- Public speaking engagements and research
February 2006 to present
Nutrition Therapist, Private Practice
- Individual and family nutrition therapy; all ages. Specializing in eating disorders; bulimia, anorexia, binge eating and disordered eating.
- Works in collaboration with medical teams, including psychiatrists, psychotherapists, nurses, school coaches and staff.
- Creates and incorporates educational tools and worksheets for individual needs.
- Develops and facilitates nutrition support groups.
May 2014 to present
Nutrition Therapist, GenPsych, Bridgewater, NJ
- Assesses nutritional needs of client population.
- Individual and family counseling.
- Develops and implements initial nutrition program.
October 2004 to present
Nutrition Coordinator/Nutrition Therapist, Somerset Medical Center, Somerville, NJ
- Provides nutrition assessments for patient population.
- Individual and group education during recovery process.
- Develops menus and meal plans, analyzes foods specific to individual needs and program needs.
- Participates in treatment team meetings and treatment rounds to provide comprehensive patient care.
- Coordinates between dietary department to promote consistency, variety and quality of meals.
- Updates nutrition program policies and procedures in compliance with JACHO certification.
July 2001 to August 2004
Clinical Dietitian, Doctors Medical Center, San Pablo, CA
- Provided nutrition support in an acute care facility. Concentration on cardiac, and intensive care as well as burn and wound unit.
- Oncology dietitian for J.C. Robinson, M.D. Regional Cancer Center, 16 hours/week.
- Mentored dietetic interns-medical nutrition therapy.
January 2002 to August 2004
Dietitian-Study Coordinator, Department of Pediatric Endocrinology UC, San Francisco, CA
- Educated families and adolescents on weight loss therapy, as outlined in the "weigh of life" program in a clinical trial.
- Recruited and retained participants for an adult weight loss clinical trial. Organized multiple testing department visits with physicians/patients, strengthening communication and organization skills.
- Provided nutrition counseling/monitoring in adjunct to pharmacotherapy.
August 2000 to July 2001
Dietetic Intern, Napa State Hospital, Napa CA
- Enhanced clinical assessment and counseling skills through 1280 hours of clinical practice in acute, sub-acute and long-term care.
- Created and presented educational and research material in all competencies of the program.
- 320 hours experience in food production, management, and service for a 1200 bed facility.
- 384 hours working in government funded nutrition programs.
June 1999 to June 2001
Research Diet Technician , UCSF General Hospital, San Francisco, CA
- Educated patients on nutrition related aspects of multiple studies.
- Modification and testing of recipes for research diets.
- Tabulated and analyzed calorie counts using food records and dietary analysis program.
- Pursuing a Masters in Nutrition at University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- Bachelor of Science in Dietetics from San Francisco State University (2000)
- Certificate in Weight Management (Fall 2007)
- Montclair University 2014
- College of St Elizabeth 2007
- Raritan Valley College 2005
- ARC, Nutrition and Food Safety 2005